Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Examination of the University

Ah..., it's finally over. So, after three midterms and one complex and tedious paper of no importance in my life, it's finally time to sit back, fill my bowl and inhale the fumes of freedom. Lately, I've been questioning the importance of undergoing four years filled with stress, joy, sorrow, and a variety of other feelings. Living in a time where the quality of life is failing makes me wonder if having a degree will even be of any importance when it comes time for me to pop this bubble and enter into the realms of reality. Surviving college is a test in itself. Getting through all the obstacles, whether it be receiving a mediocre grade on a midterm or finding yourself and the people you can associate yourself with, is more stressful and anxiety causing than that one course such as Microeconomics, that gives you stomach aches day in and day out. Professors are a melting pot of flavors. Some are spicy, some are sweet. You hope that you get the candy shop but sometimes you end up with the peppers and spices The expectations of a student from a professor are very high and instead of treating us like undergraduate students, they tend to throw us to the hounds and make us defend for ourselves and as if we're their colleagues. Professors find enjoyment with psyching us out and adding more stress into our already complicated lives. Yesterday I was having a panic attack in the school library due to the problems I was countering when attempting to print out my paper for English on one side. However, due to certain restrictions that Miami places on the control panels for the printers, I could only print it double-sided, so I finally gave up and just handed in my paper with double-sides. I guess I'll find out soon enough how that ended up, and if God willing, I get marked down one letter grade than there will be some complications between the English department, library and me. In my first three semesters of college, I have encountered some incompetent teachers and unfortunately, I do have one of those this semester. One of my professors who will remain anonymous lost one of my quizzes and it's taking forever for this person to get back to me. It should not be my responsibility to keep on this person like a dog, but my grade is at jeopardy due to this figure's messy and confused lifestyle. While we're on this subject, I would also to comment on the university's stupidity for employing graduate students. I do not want someone five years older than me, who is nervous and has his own stress load of work to worry about, teaching me about mathematics, philosophy, psychology when he or she does not know the first thing about existensialism. For a fucking forty-thousand dollar tuition, you better be having some Harvard and Yale graduates, middle-age men and women, teach me about the principles of foreign exchange. And what does this world say when Harvard graduates are unemployed, living at home with their parents because they were laid off from their high paying jobs at top financial firms like Wachovia.

No comments:

Post a Comment